← ServerPilot Docs
How to Migrate an App
These instructions show you how to migrate an existing website from a shared
host to a server managed by ServerPilot.
For example, you can use them to migrate a WordPress site to DigitalOcean.
You can also use them to migrate an existing app in ServerPilot to a new
- Create a new app on the new server you have connected.
- Create a new database with the same name as your existing database.
Make a note of the username and password.
- Copy the website's files to the app's web root directory (public) on
the new server.
- On the new server, update any of the app's files that reference the
database credentials. You should change them to the new database's
username/password you created above. In WordPress, you would edit the file
- Export the database from the old server using either mysqldump or
- Import the data to the new server using either mysql's command
line tool or through
Be sure to configure your DNS to point to
your new server.