How to Create a Strong Password
The strength of your password is one of the most important factors in determining the ability of your server and your apps to ward off brute force attacks.
Three Keys to a Strong Password
These are three essential items to know when creating a strong password:
- Have a minimum length of 12 characters.
- Use upper and lowercase letters combined with numbers and special characters.
- Use a random password generator when possible.
Things to Avoid in a Password
Avoid these items when creating a password:
- Character repetition
- Keyboard patterns
- Dictionary words
- Letter or number sequences
- Names of pets, relatives, or love interests
- Biographical information like birthdates, anniversaries, addresses, and phone numbers
A "Random" String to Remember
One way to remember a strong password is to create a seemingly random string of characters by using the first letter of each word in a 12-word (or longer) sentence and substituting uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters where you can.
For example, if you enjoy the cartoon My Little Pony, you can express your fandom with the sentence
My Little Pony is the best; I watch it three times a week.
This can then be written as the strong password